DragonFly BSD team proudly announced the new release of DragonFly BSD 5.6.0 on 17th June, 2019 and first point release of DragonFly BSD 5.6.1 on 19th June, 2019 to fixes a misconfiguration in sshd and a lockup in ttm.
There are numerous improvements were added in this release compared with DragonFly BSD 5.4.0.
The notable changes are below:
Improved UEFI framebuffer support.
Major updates to the radeon and ttm (amd support code) drivers. Also, a major deadlock has been fixed in the radeon/ttm code.
Hammer2 filesystem sync code has been rewritten to significantly improve performance. Also, improved sequential write performance.
Improve umount operation.
Added simple dependency tracking to prevent directory/file splits during create/rename/remove operations, for better consistency after a crash.
Added MDS mitigation support for the Intel side-channel attack. It should be enabled by the user, and also requires an Intel microcode update to supports it.
fuse- Initial support added.
NFS mounts which go bad can now be unmounted & NFS mounts that went bad were not being listed in ‘df’ is Fixed.
Reduce the size of /usr/local in various ways.
Update ‘script’, bringing new options and bug fixes in from FreeBSD.
gcc-8 is our default compiler. gcc5 is no longer built by default. gcc4.7 remains for emergencies.
A full set of new binary packages has been built for 5.6, available through the pkg tool.
Numerous other bugs fixed.
Various package update in the base system:
- xz – Upgrade to 5.2.4.
- libarchive – Import libarchive-3.3.3
- libressl – Update to version 2.9.1 stable.
- openssh – Update to 8.0p1.
- ldns – Update vendor branch to 1.7.0
- libcipher – Removed.
- gcore – Significantly improved.
- makefs – Bring in from FreeBSD to aid in initrd creation.
- ministat – Import from FreeBSD.
- libfetch – Synchronize with FreeBSD
- libedit – Update to version 2019-03-24.
- sysctl – Don’t try to update if the current value matches.
- dd – Rework the time interval calculation.
- dd – Generally sync with FreeBSD.
- gpt – Add “-g” to print the gpt GUID info in the ‘show’ directive.
- systat – Default to not showing pass, sg, and md* as previously intended, probe terminal width.
- iostat – Default to not showing pass, sg, and md* as previously intended, probe terminal width.
- telnet – Disable use of OPIE
How to Upgrade from DragonFly BSD 5.4 to DragonFly BSD 5.6?
If you have an existing 5.x system and are running a generic kernel, the below upgrade process will work seamlessly for you.
Change your local /usr/src to 5.6
git fetch origin
git branch DragonFly_RELEASE_5_6 origin/DragonFly_RELEASE_5_6
git checkout DragonFly_RELEASE_5_6
And then rebuild: (in /usr/src)
Finally reboot your system.
Don’t forget to upgrade your existing packages. 5.6 packages have already been built and are immediately available for you in the official repository.
To do so, run the below command.
DragonFly BSD 5.6.0 Download Link: