phpMyAdmin 4.9.0 is released, which fixes 14 bugs and addressed two important security vulnerabilities.
phpMyAdmin is a free opensource software which helps user to manage/administrate of MySQL database in Web which was writen in PHP.
It supports wide range of operations on MySQL, MariaDB. Frequently used operations (managing databases, tables, columns, relations, indexes, users, permissions, etc) can be performed via the user interface.
The below two security vulnerabilities was fixed in this release.
- PMASA-2019-3 is an SQL injection flaw in the Designer feature
- PMASA-2019-4 is a CSRF attack that’s possible through the ‘cookie’ login form
PMASA-2019-3: This is critical vulnerability, phpMyAdmin versions prior to 4.8.6 are affected. Users are advised to upgrade to phpMyAdmin 4.8.6 or newer or apply patch by referring the following link.
PMASA-2019-4: Even this also critical vulnerability. Upgrading is highly recommended for all users. Using the ‘http’ auth_type instead of ‘cookie’ can mitigate the CSRF attack.
The solution for the CSRF attack does remove the former functionality to log in directly through URL parameters (as mentioned in FAQ 4.8, such as https://example.com/phpmyadmin/?pma_username=root&password=foo). Such behavior was discouraged and is now removed. Other query parameters work as expected; only pma_username and pma_password have been removed.
All versions prior to phpMyAdmin 4.9.0 are affected. Users are advised to upgrade to phpMyAdmin 4.9.0 or newer or apply patch by referring the following link.
The below listed bugs (14) was fixed in this release.
- Several issues with SYSTEM VERSIONING tables
- Fixed json encode error in export
- Show Designer combo boxes when adding a constraint
- Fix edit view
- Fixed invalid default value for bit field
- Fix several errors relating to GIS data types
- Fixed import XML data with leading zeros
- Fixed php notice, added support for ‘DELETE HISTORY’ table privilege (MariaDB >= 10.3.4)
- Fixed MySQL 8.0.0 issues with GIS display
- Fixed “Server charset” in “Database server” tab showing wrong information
- Fixed can not copy user on Percona Server 5.7
- Updated sql-parser to version 4.3.2, which fixes several parsing and linting problems