The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, the third maintenance update of Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver) LTS.
This release includes hardware enablement stacks (HWE kernel) that support for newer hardware.
It brought Linux kernel v5.0, which is one of the major improvement in this release.
This enables the latest hardware and peripherals available from IBM, Intel, and others.
This point release comes with updated software, updated installation media, security updates, and other high-impact bugs.
It’s fully compatibility with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and also it improves the stability and performance.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will be supported for 5 years until April 2023.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will be supported for 5 years for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, and Ubuntu Core. Ubuntu Studio 18.04 will be supported for 9 months. All other flavors will be supported for 3 years.
To install HWE on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS run this command. Make sure you reboot your system when prompted.
$ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-18.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04
Notable Changes in Ubuntu 18.04.3 (Bionic Beaver) LTS
- New support for a number of new Intel and AMD graphics chipsets
- New default networking queue management algorithms to improve networking on slow and congested links
- Preliminary support for WiFi 6 (802.11ax)
- BTRFS swap file support
- New block I/O latency controller
- Numerous security related improvements
- Further AppArmor and security module improvements
- shiftfs filesystem providing LXD performance improvements
- The default OpenSSL has been upgraded from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 LTS series bringing improved performance and ability to use TLSv1.3 in select packages.
- bolt and thunderbolt-tools have been promoted to main to provide security controls for Thunderbolt devices.
- Default CIFS/SMB protocol version change in CIFS mounts
- Improved UEFI Secure Boot handling for the use of third-party modules
- ifupdown has been deprecated in favor of netplan.io and is no longer present on new installs.
- For new installs, a swap file will be used by default instead of a swap partition.
- Python 2 is no longer installed by default. Python 3 has been updated to 3.6.
- Updated Firefox to version 65
- Updated LibreOffice to 6.0.7
- Updated Thunderbird to 60.4.0
- GNOME have been updated to 3.28
- Emoji now show in color in most apps.
- Calendar now supports weather forecasts.
- Calculator, Characters, Logs, and System Monitor utilities are installed as the snap format instead of traditional format for new installs.
- The Ubuntu Software app allows easy switching between different channels for Snap apps.
- 32-bit installer images are no longer provided for Ubuntu Desktop.
- QEMU has been updated to the 2.11.1 release.
- libvirt has been updated to version 4.0.
- Open vSwitch has been updated to 2.9.
- nginx was updated to version 1.14.0
- PHP was updated to version 7.2.x.
- Apache was updated to version 2.4.29.
How to Upgrade from Ubuntu 18.04.2 (Bionic Beaver) LTS to Ubuntu 18.04.3 (Bionic Beaver) LTS?
Check the currently installed version.
$ lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS Release: 18.04 Codename: bionic
Refresh the repositories index by running the following command.
$ sudo apt update
Run the following command to install the available updates on system.
$ sudo apt upgrade
Run the following command to perform the available minor upgrade with in version.
$ sudo apt full-upgrade
By default, it will remove obsolete packages by running the above command. However, i advise you to run the below commands.
$ sudo apt autoremove
$ sudo apt clean
You may need to reboot the system, if a new kernel is installed. If so, run the following command.
$ sudo shutdown -r now
Verify the updated system by running the following commands.
$ lsb_release -a $ uname -a $ cat /etc/ubuntu-release
Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Download Link:
- Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Desktop/Server Download
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Cloud Images Download
- Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Netboot Download
- Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Kubuntu Download
- Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Lubuntu and Lubuntu Alternate Download
- Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Budgie Download
- Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Kylin Download
- Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) MATE Download
- Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Xubuntu Download