Canonical has announced that Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish) reaches End of Life on July 18 2019. It released almost 9 months ago, on October 18, 2018.
Ubuntu regular releases are supported for 9 months. As a non-LTS release, 18.10 has a 9-month support cycle and, as such, the support period is now nearing its end of life.
After that users won’t be get any package updates for 18.10 including security updates as well.
Ubuntu 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish) users are urged to upgrade Ubuntu 19.04 (Disco Dingo).
Ubuntu 19.04 continues to be actively supported until January, 2020.
It gets security updates and select high-impact bug fixes from Canonical.
How to perform upgrade from 18.10 (Cosmic Cuttlefish) to 19.04 (Disco Dingo)?
Ubuntu upgrade is a hassle free upgrade. It can be done easily by following the below procedures.
Use the following steps to perform the upgrade via GUI. It’s preferable for Desktops users.
- Run the “update-manager” application.
- In Update Manager, click the “Settings” button, and enter your password to start the Software Sources application.
- Select the sub menu “Updates” from the Software Sources application.
- Confirm the “Notify me of a new Ubuntu version:” option is set to “For any new version”, and change it if otherwise.
- Close the Software Sources application and return to Update Manager.
- In Update Manager, click the “Check” button to check for new updates.
- If there are any updates to install, use the “Install Updates” button to install them, and press “Check” again after that is complete.
- A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.
- Click “Upgrade”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Use the following steps to perform the upgrade through CLI. It’s preferable for server.
Install update-manager-core if it is not already installed:
$ sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
Edit /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades and set Prompt=normal
$ sudo vi /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades
Launch the upgrade tool:
$ sudo do-release-upgrade
Follow the on-screen instructions.